Last week, I booked myself into an isolation tank at Beyond Rest. If you watch The Simpsons, you may remember this episode where Lisa & Homer go floating (poor Homer). Anything that involves extra dopamine and endorphins, I’m all in for!
Taken from the Beyond Rest website, the floatation tank contains a super-saturated Epsom-salt solution, which is about 25cm deep. This creates an environment similar to that of the Dead Sea, which lets you float effortlessly on the surface of the water and enjoy a feeling of weightlessness.
It eliminates all outside distractions such as sight, sound, tactile sensations, and gravity, so you feel like your floating in space losing track of where your body ends and the water begins. Noise from the outside doesn’t get to you. This is done by water and air heated to your body temperature so you cannot distinguish between the air and water thus giving you the floating feeling.
Some of the benefits of floating
The relaxed state you get into while in the tank is a healing state for many conditions reported by researches to:
- Promote total calm, peaceful relaxation, eliminates fatigue and jet lag.
- Quicken rehabilitation and recovery. Relieve pain from arthritis, migraines and injuries.
- Improve sleep, alleviate stress both physical and mental.
- Energise and revitalise
- stimulate left/right brain synchronisation creating mental clarity and alertness.
- shift brain waves from beta to lower frequency levels to alpha, theta and even delta waves.
- Accelerate learning, increases creativity, problem solving.
- Heighten visualisation, deepens meditation and expands awareness.
- Enhance hypnotherapy and self-hypnosis.
- Enhance potential for lucid dreams
- Increase your motivation and diminish depression, anxiety and fear.
- Increase your productivity as you are clear and ready to work on whatever it is that is important to you
- Facilitate freedom of habits, phobias and addictions
- Improve athletic performance, speed the healing process and prevent sports injuries.
- Boost immune function
- Decrease the production of cortisol, acth, lactic acid and adrenaline which helps reduce stress and relaxes you.
- Increase the production of endorphins
- Increase and improve the circulation and distribution of oxygen and nutrients.
- Help in healing people with fibromyalgia
- Reduce blood pressure, pulse, heart rate and oxygen consumption
- It’s a great story. At the end of the day when you see family or friends and they say ‘how was your day’ – it will be much more of an interesting story
Being a total water rat my whole life, I’ve always been a huge fan of floating in the ocean except you can never do that for too long because you either get hit by waves or you get burnt. So floating in a tank was the perfect solution.
If you’re one of those people (like me) that makes 99% of your life decisions in the shower, then a float is for you! I spent half the time getting 100% on a decision & the other half meditating (more on this massive decision soon!!)
And the best part? In your own private room, you get to shower afterwards with Sukin products & walk out of there feeling super refreshed.
Worldwide float locations can be found: HERE